InSight Crime’s internship program offers the opportunity to work for the leading source of news and analysis on organized crime in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Our social media and multimedia internship program is designed for candidates interested in bolstering their digital communication skills by assisting in our social media and multimedia production.
This opportunity is ideal for candidates planning careers in social media community management, journalism focused on audiovisual products, multimedia communication, or related fields.
Social Media/Multimedia Internship
- Understand InSight Crime’s mission and review our network practices toward it. Follow and adapt to our style and practices focused on supporting our mission.
- Support logistics of the social networks grid, with editors and translators.
- Translating short texts ES-ENG and ENG-ES.
- Schedule daily content for our social networks’ content grid.
- Create basic graphic material to support the content grid.
- Create basic video material to support the content grid.
- Attend the editorial morning meeting, take notes, and ask questions to offer ideas and suggest strategies for content promotion.
- Do daily analytics monitoring of all network profiles.
- Participate in investigation dissemination/impact strategies, supporting the programming and creation of their social network campaigns.
- Proficiency in both English and Spanish.
- Available at least 40 hours a week, and able to commit to working with us from early January through May for the spring term, May to August for the summer term, or September to December for the fall term.
- Knowledge of social networks, particularly LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Basic graphic design and/or multimedia skills such as photo editing, and basic video, and audio editing.
- Understand or be willing to learn about Mailchimp and email marketing.
- Understand or be willing to learn about the platforms needed to program and post, including Planable and Typefully.
- Understand or be willing to learn about analytics platforms.
- Interest in organized crime coverage.
- Passion for digital media and social media networks.
- Attention to detail.
- Marketing skills.
- Graphic design and multimedia skills.
How To Apply:
Applications are open for three cycles that correspond to the United States’ academic calendar: spring (January to May), summer (May to August), and fall (September to December). Applications must be submitted by December 1 for the spring term, by April 1 for the summer term, and by August 1 for the fall term.
Please send all application materials with the subject heading “InSight Crime Research Internship” to firstname.lastname@example.org, including a CV, and cover letter. The internship can be completed remotely but it is preferred if you are based in Medellín. It is unpaid, but we occasionally receive donations that allow us to offer modest stipends.