The Colombian Organized Crime Observatory
Organized crime constitutes one of the greatest threats to security in Latin America. It has had a grave impact in terms of violence, corruption and the weakening of institutions. The Colombian Organized Crime Observatory, coordinated by the InSight Crime Foundation and the Universidad del Rosario’s Faculty of Political Science, Government and International Relations (FCPGRI), is dedicated to the analysis of the different facets of organized crime using a multidisciplinary and applied approach with the contribution of professors, researchers and students of diverse faculties of the University, and InSight Crime’s team of investigative journalists. In addition to producing cutting-edge research, based on existing empirical evidence, the observatory seeks to train new generations of researchers dedicated to the development of more effective responses to the challenges posed by organized crime in Colombia and the region.
About InSight Crime
InSight Crime is a foundation dedicated to the study of the principal threat to national and citizen security in Latin America and the Caribbean: Organized Crime.
We seek to deepen and inform the debate about organized crime in the region by providing the general public with regular reporting, analysis and investigation on the subject and on state efforts to combat it.
We fulfill this mission by:
- providing high quality and timely analysis of news events linked to organized crime in the region;
- investigating and writing reports on organized crime and its multiple manifestations, including its impact on human rights, governance, drug policy and other social, economic and political issues;
- giving workshops to journalists, academics and non-governmental organizations on how to cover this important issue and keep themselves, their sources and their material safe;
- supporting local investigators through these workshops and by publishing, translating and promoting their work to reach the widest possible audience;
- developing a region-wide network of investigators looking at organized crime;
- presenting in public and closed-door sessions to governments, non-governmental organizations, academics and stakeholders on best practices, strategies and pitfalls in implementing citizen security policy on the ground.
About Universidad del Rosario
Universidad del Rosario, founded on December 18th 1653, is one of the top universities in Colombia. It is a university of the students, by the students and for the students. A place where the limits of knowledge are challenged by conducting the highest quality of research. It is a very active player in the international field of academic and research institutions and aims to strengthen its international cooperation network.
Since 1653 the University has actively contributed to the social, political and economic development of Colombia. Moreover, it continues to stand committed to this in the future. Nowadays, the university aims at delivering a solid ethical, humanistic and scientific education that along with research and an ideal and challenging teaching, enables the educational community to comprehensively educate notable persons and to act in benefit of society, with the highest sense of responsibility.
Thanks to this expertise, the National Ministry of Education has accredited the university as a top leading and high quality institution ranked within the top 5 leading universities among 48 high-quality accredited institutions in Colombia (MIDE ranking) and the first one in 2015 at the National level for excellence in master programs. Furthermore, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) has awarded UR 4 Excellence Stars in its overall ranking and 5 stars for teaching, facilities and employability.