HomeNewsAnalysisOnly a Fraction of U.S.-Mexico Border 'Controlled'
ANALYSIS

Only a Fraction of U.S.-Mexico Border 'Controlled'

ARMS TRAFFICKING / 21 FEB 2011 BY ELYSSA PACHICO EN

According to testimony given before United States Congress, the Border Patrol says that just fifteen percent of the U.S.-Mexico border is under tight control. The bulked-up security measures along the southwest border have resulted in record drug seizures, but, as the testimony makes clear, there are still many possible points of entry for smugglers trafficking people, narcotics or guns.

The data suggests that, despite the heated political rhetoric aimed at "securing" the border, effectively policing less than half of the area is near impossible. 

Of the 1,951 miles that make up the U.S.-Mexico border, 873 miles are considered to be somewhat controlled by the Border Patrol. Within this area, 129 miles (or 15 percent) is considered "controlled," meaning there is a high chance of detecting and stopping illegal activity at the actual border. The other 744 miles (or 85 percent) are considered "managed," meaning that detection and interdiction is harder, occurring over 100 miles into U.S. territory.

The other 1,127 miles of the border is considered "monitored" (there is ability to detect, but little to respond) or "low level monitored," according to testimony made avaliable to the Government Accountability Office (GAO) on February 15.

Most of the territory considered "low level monitored" falls along an approximate 510-mile range in east Texas, in the Marfa sector of the Border Patrol. This is a particularly remote area of rough, dry terrain and may thus represent an attractive point of entry for smugglers. Another ten miles in the Rio Grande Valley is also barely monitored by authorities, the report notes.

Notably, of the nine Border Patrol sectors along the southwest frontier, only one, Yuma, reported having near total "operational control" along its 126-mile border with Mexico. But this definition of "control" does not account for all forms of illicit activity, as agents do not have the ability to detect smuggling through tunnels or by air.

Groups like the Sinaloa Cartel have been known to use intricate tunnels to smuggle marijuana and cocaine into the United States. Such underground passageways have been found connecting Tijuana to San Diego. 

Security reinforcements to the U.S.-Mexico border have included boosting the number of patrol officers, currently numbering 20,000, and building a 700-mile fence which at times cuts through border towns. Electronic sensors, cameras and drone aircraft are expected to monitor the remaining territory, part of a $3 billion emergency act approved by the Senate in July 2007. The Department of Homeland Security has requested $57 billion for its 2012 budget.

These increased measures have produced results, including what was apparently a record year in drug seizures along the border. According to the Department of Homeland Security, the Border Patrol seized 87 percent more cocaine and 108 percent more heroin during the 2010 fiscal year, as compared to 2009. This includes a total of 115 tons of cocaine seized in 2010, as opposed to 61 tons in 2009. Most of the seized drugs entering the U.S. were trafficked by land.

But what the GAO testimony highlights is that for the foreseeable future, securing the entire 2,000 mile-border has as much to do with the reality of the rough terrain and the avaliable technological resources as it does with political rhetoric. In the meantime, increased activity by the Border Patrol will likely push human smugglers, or 'coyotes,' to attempt to traffic people through ever more remote areas, such as the Marfa and Rio Grande sectors, increasing the chance of migrants getting lost or dying during the journey. And as it becomes harder to traffic drugs into the U.S. through the traditional routes, groups like the Juarez Cartel will turn to cultivating the domestic drug market in cities like the embattled Ciudad Juarez.

InSight has made a map below depicting the nine Border Patrol sectors: San Diego, El Centro, Yuma, Tucson, El Paso, Marfa, Del Rio, Laredo and Rio Grande Valley. The map is an approximation and is not meant to represent the entire U.S. territory under jurisdiction of these sectors, but rather is meant to illustrate the areas that fall under general control of these Border Patrol units. In yellow is the sector reported as in total operational control of all its border miles. In red are the general areas reported as the most poorly monitored.


View U.S.-Mexico Border Security in a larger map

share icon icon icon

Was this content helpful?

We want to sustain Latin America’s largest organized crime database, but in order to do so, we need resources.

DONATE

What are your thoughts? Click here to send InSight Crime your comments.

We encourage readers to copy and distribute our work for non-commercial purposes, with attribution to InSight Crime in the byline and links to the original at both the top and bottom of the article. Check the Creative Commons website for more details of how to share our work, and please send us an email if you use an article.

Was this content helpful?

We want to sustain Latin America’s largest organized crime database, but in order to do so, we need resources.

DONATE

Related Content

CUBA / 4 NOV 2016

The case of a sex trafficking ring that ensnared Cuban women in prostitution in Miami suggests human traffickers are capitalizing…

MEXICO / 4 OCT 2016

Every day, Mexico's cartels attempt to ship untold quantities of drugs across the US border. And every day, Mexican and…

EL SALVADOR / 11 MAY 2017

US aid funding for Central America will be reduced in 2017. And while news reports have largely focused on…

About InSight Crime

THE ORGANIZATION

Venezuela's Cocaine Revolution Met With Uproar

6 MAY 2022

On May 4, InSight Crime launched its latest investigation, Venezuela’s Cocaine Revolution¸ accompanied by a virtual panel on its findings. The takeaways from this three-year effort, including the fact that Venezuela…

THE ORGANIZATION

Venezuela Drug Trafficking Investigation and InDepth Gender Coverage

29 APR 2022

On May 4, InSight Crime will be publishing The Cocaine Revolution in Venezuela, a groundbreaking investigation into how the Venezuelan government regulates the cocaine trade in the country. An accompanying event,…

THE ORGANIZATION

InDepth Coverage of Juan Orlando Hernández

22 APR 2022

Ever since Juan Orlando Hernández was elected president of Honduras in 2014, InSight Crime has provided coverage of every twist and turn during his rollercoaster time in office, amid growing…

THE ORGANIZATION

Venezuela's Cocaine Revolution

15 APR 2022

On May 4th, InSight Crime will publish a groundbreaking investigation on drug trafficking in Venezuela. A product of three years of field research across the country, the study uncovers cocaine production in…

LA ORGANIZACIÓN

Widespread Coverage of InSight Crime MS13 Investigation

8 APR 2022

In a joint investigation with La Prensa Gráfica, InSight Crime recently revealed that four of the MS13’s foremost leaders had been quietly released from…