HomeNewsBriefFARC Commander Denies Rebels Have Been Weakened
BRIEF

FARC Commander Denies Rebels Have Been Weakened

FARC / 9 APR 2012 BY HANNAH STONE EN

The FARC has released a video in which commander 'Ivan Marquez' denies the government's claims that the rebel group has been weakened, in what may be an attempt to project an image of strength in case the group enters peace talks.

In the video (see below), Marquez denies that the guerrillas have reached "the end," as the authorities have claimed. He states that the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) are ready to fight, and will continue to seek support abroad.

Marquez also described the guerrillas as a legitimate political group, declaring that they have a right to rebellion enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and that it is wrong to classify their actions as "terrorism."

FARC guerrillas killed six soldiers on Saturday in an ambush on the road between Medellin, Colombia's second-largest city, and Quibdo, capital of the Pacific province of Choco. Commander of the Army's 7th Division General Hernan Giraldo said that members of the guerrillas' 34th Front detonated explosives when an army patrol came to the area to investigate reports of a rebel attack, reports the AFP. The security forces killed three guerrillas in clashes.

InSight Crime's Analysis

The video was released days after the rebels released their last 10 political hostages, in a move that has been widely interpreted as a step towards peace negotiations with the government. Along with the Choco attack, the video seems to be part of an effort by the rebels to approach the negotiating table in a position of power.

The government has also struck heavy blows against the rebels as peace talks emerge as an increasingly real prospect, killing more than 70 guerrillas in two bombing raids on FARC camps in March. The authorities said the attacks were part of their new strategy to hit the group's wealthiest fronts, to undermine their capacity to carry out operations, as opposed to focusing on taking out the group's leaders.

There is speculation that talks between the government and the rebels may already have begun, with reports that President Juan Manuel Santos has asked Cuba's leadership to act as intermediaries. However, Santos may prefer to wait until he wins a second term in 2014, when he would not have to worry about the prospect of failed talks hurting his re-election chances.

share icon icon icon

Was this content helpful?

We want to sustain Latin America’s largest organized crime database, but in order to do so, we need resources.

DONATE

What are your thoughts? Click here to send InSight Crime your comments.

We encourage readers to copy and distribute our work for non-commercial purposes, with attribution to InSight Crime in the byline and links to the original at both the top and bottom of the article. Check the Creative Commons website for more details of how to share our work, and please send us an email if you use an article.

Was this content helpful?

We want to sustain Latin America’s largest organized crime database, but in order to do so, we need resources.

DONATE

Related Content

CARTEL OF THE SUNS / 2 MAY 2022

In 2016, two adopted nephews of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro were found guilty of a conspiracy to bring 800 kilograms…

COLOMBIA / 9 DEC 2021

Colombian media has reported that top ex-FARC commanders El Paisa and Romaña have been shot dead in Venezuela, making them…

COLOMBIA / 28 DEC 2022

Colombian President Gustavo Petro's Total Peace plan faces a very tough road ahead. Can over 20 criminal groups really all…

About InSight Crime

THE ORGANIZATION

Escaping Barrio 18

27 JAN 2023

Last week, InSight Crime published an investigation charting the story of Desafío, a 28-year-old Barrio 18 gang member who is desperate to escape gang life. But there’s one problem: he’s…

THE ORGANIZATION

Europe Coverage Makes a Splash

20 JAN 2023

Last week, InSight Crime published an analysis of the role of Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport as an arrival hub for cocaine and methamphetamine from Mexico.  The article was picked up by…

THE ORGANIZATION

World Looks to InSight Crime for Mexico Expertise

13 JAN 2023

Our coverage of the arrest of Chapitos’ co-founder Ovidio Guzmán López in Mexico has received worldwide attention.In the UK, outlets including The Independent and BBC…

THE ORGANIZATION

InSight Crime Shares Expertise with US State Department

16 DEC 2022

Last week, InSight Crime Co-founder Steven Dudley took part in the International Anti-Corruption Conference organized by the US State Department’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, & Labor and…

THE ORGANIZATION

Immediate Response to US-Mexico Marijuana Investigation

9 DEC 2022

InSight Crime’s investigation into how the legalization of marijuana in many US states has changed Mexico’s criminal dynamics made a splash this week appearing on the front page of…