HomeNewsBriefPeru Ups Contraband Seizures
BRIEF

Peru Ups Contraband Seizures

CONTRABAND / 17 MAR 2015 BY ARRON DAUGHERTY EN

Peru reported seizing $379 million in pirated and contraband material in 2014, highlighting the extent of this illicit trade in the Andean country.

The reported value of the seized material was released by the vice minister of the agency which oversees small businesses in Peru.

The figure represents a $40 million increase over what authorities confiscated in 2013 and a $200 million increase of what was confiscated in 2012.

“Roughly 70 percent of what’s being seized is contraband and the remaining 30 percent is pirated material,” Adolfo Bernui, the technical secretary of Peru’s anti-piracy and contraband commission, told InSight Crime. 

Pirated materials largely consist of software and entertainment goods such as DVDs and music. Contraband materials are usually goods like clothing, liquor and cigarettes that have not been taxed or cleared through Peruvian customs, the official said.

Smuggled fuel also makes up a large part of seized contraband. Smugglers purchase government-subsidized fuel in neighboring Bolivia and Ecuador, smuggle it into Peru and sell it at profit, Bernui explained.

A mix of individuals and small groups, as well as organized crime networks, are responsible for Peru’s piracy and smuggling industry, the official said. Organized criminal groups run caravans of vehicles carrying contraband, known as “snakes,”  from Bolivia into southern Peruvian states like Puno, Bernui added.

InSight Crime Analysis

The nearly $400 million worth of contraband and pirated goods seized in Peru is another example of the scale of this trade across Central and South America. In Costa Rica, for example, government officials recently said they consider contraband a bigger problem than drug trafficking. And as appears to be the case in Peru, it is not only large-scale criminal groups making a profit off of contraband, but individual operators who have few other economic options

SEE ALSO: Coverage of Contraband

There have been huge seizures of contraband reported in Peru, indication that larger, organized criminal groups are involved in the trade, including a raid last July in which Peruvian police confiscated about 220 tons of contraband goods with estimated value of $2 million. Those goods were moved in one of the “snake” caravans that transfer goods between Bolivia and Peru, where the southeastern city of Juliaca serves as a major hub for shipping the products elsewhere in the country.

Compartir icon icon icon

What are your thoughts? Click here to send InSight Crime your comments.

We encourage readers to copy and distribute our work for non-commercial purposes, with attribution to InSight Crime in the byline and links to the original at both the top and bottom of the article. Check the Creative Commons website for more details of how to share our work, and please send us an email if you use an article.

Related Content

BRAZIL / 29 MAY 2014

Authorities in Brazil seized over eight million packs of contraband cigarettes in just one state in 2013, providing an indication…

ELITES AND CRIME / 19 JUN 2017

The arrest in Peru of a mayoral delegate and dozens of his suspected accomplices for running a violent land trafficking…

MONEY LAUNDERING / 17 NOV 2011

The agency that regulates banking in Peru estimates that $5.3 billion in illicit funds have passed through the country’s financial…

About InSight Crime

THE ORGANIZATION

We Have Updated Our Website

4 FEB 2021

Welcome to our new home page. We have revamped the site to create a better display and reader experience.

THE ORGANIZATION

InSight Crime Events – Border Crime: The Northern Triangle and Tri-Border Area

ARGENTINA / 25 JAN 2021

Through several rounds of extensive field investigations, our researchers have analyzed and mapped out the main illicit economies and criminal groups present in 39 border departments spread across the six countries of study – the Northern Triangle trio of Guatemala, Honduras, and El…

BRIEF

InSight Crime’s ‘Memo Fantasma’ Investigation Wins Simón Bolívar National Journalism Prize

COLOMBIA / 20 NOV 2020

The staff at InSight Crime was awarded the prestigious Simón Bolívar national journalism prize in Colombia for its two-year investigation into the drug trafficker known as “Memo Fantasma,” which was…

ANALYSIS

InSight Crime – From Uncovering Organized Crime to Finding What Works

COLOMBIA / 12 NOV 2020

This project began 10 years ago as an effort to address a problem: the lack of daily coverage, investigative stories and analysis of organized crime in the Americas. …

ANALYSIS

InSight Crime – Ten Years of Investigating Organized Crime in the Americas

FEATURED / 2 NOV 2020

In early 2009, Steven Dudley was in Medellín, Colombia. His assignment: speak to a jailed paramilitary leader in the Itagui prison, just south of the city. Following his interview inside…